GovernanceDiocesan Multi Academy Trusts
It is the education policy of the diocese and mind of the Bishop of Northampton, that all Catholic schools in the diocese join their local diocesan Multi Academy Trust (MAT). In 2021 there are approximately half of our diocesan schools within the academy system. NORES are supporting all voluntary-aided schools on their journey to join their local MAT when the time is right.
Foundation governors are appointed by the bishop to represent their interests and those of the Catholic community as a whole. Foundation governors play a leading role in the Catholic community: they collaborate with the bishop in his ministry in education. It is, therefore, important for Foundation Governors in maintained schools to:
- Know and implement the bishop’s policies on education, including religious education;
- Represent those policies to the governing body;
- Act for the good of Catholic education as a whole within the diocese, considering not only the interests of the individual school, but the interests of other schools;
- Secure the long-term future of Catholic education;
- Always act in accordance with the mind of the bishop.
Our Lady Immaculate Catholic Academies Trust: Operates in the north of the diocese, covering Bedford borough, Northamptonshire and Milton Keynes. The following schools are currently part of the OLICAT family:
- St Joseph’s & St Gregory’s Primary, Bedford
- St John Rigby Primary, Bedford
- St Thomas More Secondary & Inspirit Teaching School, Bedford
- Our Lady of Walsingham Primary, Corby
- St Brendan’s Primary, Corby
- St Edward’s Primary, Kettering
- St Thomas More Primary, Kettering
- Our Lady’s Primary, Wellingborough
- The Good Shepherd Primary, Northampton
- St Mary’s Primary, Northampton
- St Gregory’s Primary, Northampton
- Thomas Becket Secondary, Northampton
St Thomas Catholic Academies Trust: Operates in the south of the diocese, covering Luton & Dunstable, Slough and Buckinghamshire. The following schools are currently part of the STCAT family:
- St Margaret of Scotland Primary, Luton
- St Martin de Porres Primary, Luton
- St Mary’s Primary, Caddington
- St Vincent’s Primary, Houghton Regis
- Cardinal Newman Secondary, Luton
- St Anthony’s Primary, Slough
- St Ethelbert’s Primary & Nursery, Slough
- St Joseph’s Secondary, Slough
Six primary schools from Buckinghamshire will join STCAT in 2021.
Are you a practising Catholic? Do you care about Catholic education? Can you commit to 10-12 hours a month? If you think that you might make a good Foundation Governor, you should nominate yourself for consideration for appointment. You may already have been encouraged to nominate yourself by your Parish Priest, a Head Teacher, a Chair of Governors or someone else in the Catholic community.
“When we work in communion, we strengthen our mission”